Wednesday, May 28, 2014


Who would go to Detroit’s craigslist to curate a show about optimism and hope? me.  In a city the world seems to have given up hope on, in a country stifled beneath an economic wet blanket, I see hope.  Maybe it’s the cheap, superficial, greeting card kind of hope but it’s an intention nonetheless.  Maybe its simply because I believe we’re on the brink of the most devastating failure imaginable that I have to go to the fumes of my humanity and muster a spark of optimism. Because the alternative is frightening.  Is our new american version of hope simply one that allows for a cheap buzz, firearm ownership and the right to default on our debts?  The fact is that any hope, even delusional hope, is what separates us from the beasts.   I pry open the pathetic, time and time again and am brought to the brink of weeping, and then, I see the pissed off Kiss-loving unicorn and I do weep and I fall in love with hope.  (for sales inquiries follow the links to the original craigslist ads)

















No comments:

Post a Comment